Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Headcoverings in the Black Church

 I came across this video on YouTube and I was surprised at all the veiled ladies. It is footage of
 Rev. Thomas A. Dorsey at some special service which I understand to be a consecration service. Many of ladies are dressed in white with white veilings.






To those of you who don't know who Thomas Dorsey was he was a gospel song writer who suffered a tremendous loss which inspired  him to write the song " Precious Lord, Take My Hand."  He was known as the "Father of Gospel Music". He went to be with the Lord in 1993 and there will never be another Thomas Dorsey. Perhaps a close second would be Andre Crouch who went to be with the Lord a couple of months ago.

Anyway, getting back to the veilings, I remember seeing ladies when I was a little girl going to church dresses like that. They looked so pretty!

When didn't go to church much when I was a little girl but we listened to live black churches on the radio in the morning and evenings.Gospel music was so much better back then than it is now.
So anyway, I was so excited to see these ladies. There is a closeup in the video of one a lady who reminded me of my mother.

Moving My Blog

 After still trying to figure out the subscription thing with MailChimp and never having success, I've decided to go ahead and use my Wo...