Wednesday, May 17, 2017
I guess I should have expected weirdness to happen but all this just makes me more determined to pray.
Tomorrow is canning day for me. I plan to put away a few jars of pinto beans. They are great for making homemade refried beans. I hope to get over to Walmart and pick up a few pounds of boneless chicken. I want to put away some for chicken salad in the summer and soup in the fall.
I hope to plant some green beans this weekend or perhaps next. Well that's it my friends.
Until next time!
Sunday, May 14, 2017
But Mothers Day can be very difficult for many reasons. There are women who desperately want to be mothers but God hasn't given them neither biological children nor through adopted children.
There are mothers who are estranged from their children so they will not get calls or cards on Mother's Day. There are mothers who have children who have passed away so there is a hole in their hearts. Some of us have moms in heaven and for some people this is their first Mother's Day without their mom. I'm reminded of blogger Mandy Kelly as some of you know died in a house fire on March 21st including her husband Scott, and two youngest children, Lizzie and Judah. They left behind two young teens Bekah and Jared. Let's remember them today in prayer because these teens will also experience Father's Day without their dad.
Today let's remember to be thankful for the blessings God has bestowed upon us.
Thursday, April 27, 2017
That thing called a pressure canner. I had never pressure canned before because they look so menacing! Remember on I Love Lucy when Ricky tried to pressure cook two chicken and the thing exploded?😦😄
Well I did a test run to familiarize myself with using Little Bertha(my name for the canner) scared me half to death when it was making strange noises. After watching another canning video I realized it was actually behaving itself the first time.
Anyway, my first pressure canning was a success. (After I got over the initial dear of the thing!) I canned three pints of beans and now I can't wait to try again!
Monday, April 17, 2017
Since I made te space in my payer closet I'm sure my husband is thinking I've gone off the deep end. I too wondered as I was clearing space if I had finally lost my mind. If that is what it means to go to war for my family then I welcome "losing my marbles". My family is worth fighting for.We Christian wives and mothers must pray daily for our husbands and children. And we must always get into the Word. In my earlier post I mentioned having your Bible in your prayer room. I recommend a actual hard copy instead of the smartphone Bible app. I say this because it's too easy to get distracted by the other apps on our phones like texts, Pinterest, etc. And besides there is nothing like the sound of Bible pages being turned!
This is my small space in our master closet that will be my war room prayer space. It's not much but when you go to war with Satan, you don't need a lot of space. I have on the wall which isn't shown a label for requests and one for answered prayer. This means however God chooses to answer.
So anyway, I came away with the idea of creating one's own war room or prayer closet. I must say at the time, I didn't think I really needed to have a quiet space to pray because I usually just have my quiet time in my bedroom in the mornings.
Well that has changed recently and now I am done! Satan can mess with me all he wants but when he messes with my family, this means WAR!
I've decided to clear a small area in our walk-in closet for my war room. I'm still working on it. I have clutter and it so happens this weeks Flylady zone is the master area which is the bedroom, closet and bath. Thankfully the tasks this week are things I've done already so I can work on my war room space. When it's complete, I will post a picture of what I've done.
What does one need for a war room?
1.Space! It doesn't need to be huge. Do you have a closet that has stuff than can be put somewhere else? How about a spare bedroom? Do you have a space in your bedroom, that you can corner off to get alone with God?
2. Bible and pen.
3.Post it notes for writing names and prayer requests
4. A pillow for kneeling on or a small chair
5. If you are a headcovering lady, a veil or scarf if you don't cover all the time. I don't always get dressed right away when I get up in the mornings so I will have my quiet time in my jammies.
6. Tissues because many times we will be in tears.
7. A listening heart. Sometimes we are so busy talking to God we forget to take the time to listen.
I hope this has helped any of you who want to create your own prayer area. For more ideas go to
Have a blessed day ladies!
Sunday, April 16, 2017
For Jesus hath risen, and man cannot die!
Vain were the terrors that gathered around Him,
And short the dominion of death and the grave;
He burst from the fetters of darkness that bound Him,
Resplendent in glory to live and to save!
Loud was the chorus of angels on high,
The Savior hath risen, and man shall not die!
The being He gave us death cannot destroy:
Sad were the life we must part with tomorrow,
If tears were our birthright, and death were our end;
But Jesus hath cheered the dark valley of sorrow,
And bade us, immortal, to Heaven ascend:
Lift then your voices in triumph on high,
For Jesus hath risen, and man shall not die.
My blessèd Savior;
Waiting the promised day,
My precious Lord.
And in triumph, vanquished all His foes;
He arose a victor o’er the realms of night;
And He reigns forever with His saints in light,
He arose (He arose),
He arose (He arose),
Victor over all His foes.
My blessèd Savior;
Surely He’ll keep His vow,
My precious Lord.
My blessèd Savior;
Scatt’ring His armèd foes,
My precious Lord.
Friday, April 14, 2017
Cut off for sins, but not His own:
Accomplished is the sacrifice,
The great redeeming work is done.
Justice divine is satisfied;
The grand and full atonement made;
God for a guilty world hath died.
The living way to Heaven is seen;
The middle wall is broken down,
And all mankind may enter in.
Exacted is the legal pain;
The precious promises are sealed;
The spotless Lamb of God is slain.
And all may live from sin set free;
Satan hath lost his mortal power;
’Tis swallowed up in victory.
My Savior hangs on yonder tree:
See there the meek, expiring Lamb!
’Tis finished! He expires for me.
And clothed in righteousness divine,
I see the bar to heaven removed;
And all Thy merits, Lord, are mine.
All grace is now to sinners given;
And lo, I plead the atoning blood,
And in Thy right I claim Thy Heaven
Wednesday, April 12, 2017
Pastors have explained what a body goes through when a person is crucified. And yes it is still practiced occasionally in the Middle East.
When I think about the horrible way Jesus died for us it makes it much more upsetting to me that people reject Him. I'm follow the Duggar Family and Bates Family Blogs and the things non Christians write is just so sad. If only they knew the sacrifice Jesus made.If only they would acknowledge the existence of God.
I just realized after reading another blog I hadn't posted anything about my tea exchange. If you recall awhile back I posted about the tea exchange hosted by Stephanie at The Enchanting Rose. In the tea exchange you make two new friends. One you send a tea package to and one the other from the lady who gets your name. Two of my daughters plus myself participated for the first time. It's such fun to send out packages.
Here's a picture of the lovely items I received. The fabric underneath is fabric I bought to make an apron. Can you tell I love tea!
Saturday, April 1, 2017
She loved the Lord and her family. Their two surviving children Bekah and Jared will certainly need our prayers.
We don't know why God allows these types of tragedies to happen. I do know that when these things happen, God is right there to comfort us. And He will comfort Bekah and Jared. He will comfort the families of those grandparents.
Monday, March 27, 2017
Today I want to share ideas on where to find modest clothing.
1. Thrift stores. There are lots of modest outfits one can put together from thrift store finds.
2. Sew your own. You can find patterns at fabric stores and online. For those of you who have much experience with sewing you can alter patterns to make it more modest. The same goes for thrift store clothing. I would like to add that unless you have very strong convictions get colors of fabric you really like. Being modest doesn't mean wearing ugly drab colors. A pastor once preached that you don't have to wear potato sacks to be modest. He was exaggerating of course but he was telling the ladies to choose appropriate fabrics and colors.
3. Hold a free clothing exchange. This is a lot of fun. All you do get together with several ladies who bring their used unwanted clothing to exchange with other ladies. No money is exchanged at all. You can start small by organizing it at your church. You can have them bring anything they want,clothing, shoes, jewelry, etc. The sky's the Limit! The rule is everything must be free.
So everyone goes home with new to them clothing. If a lady or girl has nothing to contribute to an exchange that's okay. They can come anyway.
I hope this post has been helpful. Before I close this post I do want to warn us all about being prideful in our modesty. There is nothing worse than a Christian lady who is modestly dressed and having a holier than thou attitude. It is a poor witness on our part and grieves the Lord.
I apologize for posting this so late. I got busy this morning and forgot to post. Have a blessed day!
Monday, March 20, 2017
I don't have sons but I know moms modesty standards for their boys so I will share what I learned from observing them. To be honest I used to not think about modesty for young men until I became older and wiser in my Christian walk.
One of the more obvious things to teach sons is not to let your boys walk around with the pants so low everyone around them knows what brand of boxers they are wearing.
Another mom shared that her teen boys wear t-shirts while at the beach. The world promotes guys to show off their physique. The news articles will say something like " The Internet goes wild over so and so male celebrity shirtless!" Or " Check out Intagram photos of whoever male star at the pool!"
I think you get the point. I confess I have had to avert my eyes while at the beach or the pool. One thing I can't stand is male bikini bottoms!😮 We will just leave it at that.
Maybe some of you with sons have modesty standards for them or had standards when they were growing up.
Anyway, maybe today's post was way off base. I don't know. Please share your thoughts.
Monday, March 13, 2017
2 -3 cans white beans, drained and rinsed
21/2 cups of chicken broth
11/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 medium chopped onion
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon pepper, preferably white pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 pound cooked,boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut up into 1" pieces
1 cup light sour cream
1 8oz package light cream cheese.
In a large pot combine everything but the sour cream and cream cheese. Simmer about 10 minutes and add the sour cream and cream cheese. Mix thoroughly making sure cream cheese is completely combined. Heat until hot but don't boil after adding the cream ingredients.
This is good with a salad and homemade bread.
Today's tip is make sure the top you are wearing is long enough that when you are sitting your undies are peeking out from your skirt or pants if you wear pants. Just because other ladies want to show off their "Fruit of the Looms" doesn't mean we as Christian ladies need to do the same.
Saturday, March 11, 2017
I'm working on an apron that Stephanie over at The Enchanting Rose made using a man's shirt. I used one of Tim old shirts. There's a link on her page to a tutorial how to sew one.
Anyway, I had trouble at first but my daughter figured out how to make the apron. I did make some mistakes but I may be able to cover them up.
I will post a picture when it's done. I still owe you all a recipe from the Healthy Choices cookbook. I will post a recipe soon.
Have a blessed Sunday!
Monday, March 6, 2017
I hope your day is going well. For the month of March I thought I would post a short modesty tip each Monday. I believe the Lord wants his daughters to be modest. 1 Timothy 2:9- In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; 10- But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.
Okay so today's tip what to do on those windy days. The past few days here have been so windy I thought for sure our house would blown down!
I wear only long dresses but even still the high winds can present a problem. The solution to that is leggings. You can wear thick ones for the cold and lighter ones in warmer weather. Of course you want to hold your dress or skirt down if the winds are really bad. 😳
Wednesday, March 1, 2017
Saturday, February 25, 2017
Ephesians 4:29- Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it might minister grace unto the hearers.
Proverbs 25:11- A word fitly spoken is like apple of gold in pictures of silver.
Psalm 34:13 - Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking vile.
James 1:26 -If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not this tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.
And let's not forget the other verses in James.
James 3:8- But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
vs 9-Therewith bless we God,even the Father and therewith curse we men, which made after the similitude of God.
vs 10- Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so be.
And there are a lot more verses about the tongue. I confess sometimes I have a hard time with my tongue. I can get very defensive if I feel I've been wronged. Case in point someone said something negative about an idea I had. When I first read the comment, I wanted to write back and say something sarcastic. Then I thought about just letting it go, but as I was chopping vegetables this evening the Lord reminded me of the verses I've been reading. Ouch!
So I've decided I'm going to thank her for her lovely idea and kindly explain why I did things the way I did and leave it at that.
So my friends, how do you handle conflict?
Thursday, February 23, 2017
I highly recommend the cookbook Healthy Choices available from Carlise Press the publishers of Keepers at Home. As a mentioned in an earlier post this cookbook uses no sugar, white flour or artificial ingredients. When the idea for this cookbook came out a few years ago, I thought how yucky! I had envisioned cardboard tasting food. Boy was I wrong! The recipes are so good!
The number to order one is 1-800-852-4482. And while you are there get a subscription for KAH. One year for four issues is $14.00.
I don't get paid for the recommendation. I just want to offer these two great resources.
I will try to post a couple of recipes we tried in a later post.
Blessings to you all!
Friday, February 10, 2017
Sunday, February 5, 2017
I know the Lord is watching over us. I know it was the prayers of family and friends who got him through this.
Needless to say, his heart attack has changed our lives forever. It has caused us to reevaluate our eating habits. Now this is not going to be easy. I bought a couple of Christian healthy cookbooks from the company that publishes Keepers at Home magazine. One is called Healthy Choices which is full of recipes from Keepers at Home subscribers and the other one is Good and Healthy Cooking by Amanda and Marie Stoltzfus. Both cookbooks have recipes with no sugar, white flour and no artificial ingredients.
So begins my quest for a healthier family.
Friday, January 27, 2017
I've been enjoying adult coloring books and it's very relaxing.
My post that I started on Wednesday evening was interrupted by a medical emergency. My husband was having chest pains which turned out to be a mild heart attack. That's very scary because he has never had heart problems. He had an angiogram last evening which showed some blockage so a stent was put in. We are so grateful because it could have been much worse.
He came home today and he is doing well. He's a bit tired but he is happy to be home. He's on medications for his heart and blood pressure and it is recommened he change his diet. I've been thinking about making healthier meals for my family anyway.
We eat a lot of unhealthy foods so I need to change that. Even small changes like reducing salt intake, less fast food and switching to whole wheat flour. So if you think of it please pray I can come up with healthy meals for my family. Please also pray for Tim that his heart will fully recover and no problems with the stent.
Now back to my original post I mentioned that Tim and I have gotten into adult coloring books. Tim has been encouraging me not to focus on trying to to be like everyone else when it comes to this new hobby. I really am trying but I made the mistake of going on YouTube to search for ideas on coloring books. I found myself looking at various videos and thinking, I can never make my coloring pages look like that! I was getting somewhat discouraged but I realized the Lord doesn't want me or any of us comparing ourselves with others. Each of us is unique with different talents and abilities. So while I may get some great ideas on shading and choosing colors, I shouldn't be worried my pictures aren't "perfect" by YouTube artists standards. I want to just have fun! I'm applying the same idea to my crocheting projects which reminds me I need to get back to the baby booties I started a few days ago.
Sunday, January 8, 2017
Okay, getting back to the topic here are my last 5 answers.
6. How much joy do you have? I gave myself an 8 though I could have given myself an 9. I like to consider myself a joyful person but let's face it. There are times when I just don't feel joy. When things are going badly I want to crawl under the covers and wait for things to get better. Then there are people who are joy suckers. You know who they are. The ones who are always negative and never have anything good to say. I'm part of a online community who have such people. There will be a sweet picture of a child doing whatever kids do and someone will say something negative like "That child shouldn't____"" Or why is he/she doing ______?" I've come to the conclusion these people are just negative and honestly don't have any joy in their lives.
7. Are you a loving person? I scored 8. I would have loved to say 10. I hate to admit it but there have been people in my life and in churches I just don't like. There are celebrities I just don't like. That's no excuse though for not loving them. I think the people we don't like are the ones who may need our prayers the most.
8. Do you have peace in your life? I said 9. I have more peace now thanks to devoting myself more to prayer and God's Word.
9. Are you a patient person? I'm extremely embarrassed about this one. I gave myself a 3. I get impatient waiting on the Lord for answer. I get very impatient with people who want to argue the validity of the Bible. Truth be told, I have wanted to tell them how stupid they sound. But there was a time before I became a Christian, I was "ignorant" of the scriptures and well, I said stupid things.
10. Are you kind towards others? I scored 8. Over the years that I have been saved, I realize I want to treat others the way, I want to be treated. So I try to be kind. Even when they are driving me crazy and I've lost my patience with them, I want to be kind. I really want to try better to be "Jesus with skin on."
So that's my check-up for this year. There are areas from this check-up I need to improve and grow in. Lord willing, next January, I hope to be doing better.
Friday, January 6, 2017
- Do you worship well with others? I scored myself an 8. I really love getting together at church for hearing the word and singing. Our church has three services. The first one is traditional with hymns and piano. The second is a mixture of both with added guitar and violin. The third is Rock the Flock. It's louder, has drums and almost no hymns. We go to the second as a compromise because our teen and adult daughters want more contemporary songs. Tim and I like hymns. I personally prefer just singing and no instruments.
- How well do you grow with others? I gave myself a 6 on this one. Though I enjoy going to Bible studies, getting involved in fellowship groups, I'm painfully shy so that affects my spiritual growth but I'm doing better than I used to be.
- How is your servant's heart? I decided I was an 8. Since we are new to this church and getting to know people I'm helping in the nursery once a month. That's the one thing I really enjoy is helping with the little ones.
- How is your (out) reach? I have to give myself a 1. I'm not good at sharing my faith because of being shy and fear of rejection.
- How generous are you? I scored 1 on being generous. It's not that I'm stingy with money or my resources, it's just I don't away have it to give.
Thursday, January 5, 2017
- Do you worship well with others? Acts 2-46-47
- How well do you grow with others? Acts 2:46
- How is your servant's heart? Matthew 20:24-28,Phil. 2:3-4
- How is your (out) reach? Acts 1:8
- How generous are you? 2 Corinthians 9:7
- How much joy do you have? James 1:2
- Are you a loving person? 1 John 4:12-21,Romans 12:10
- Do you have peace in your life? Matthew 11:28-30, John 14:27
- Are you a patient person? Ephesians 4:2,James 1:4
- Are you kind towards others? Ephesians 4:32,Colossians 4:6
Wednesday, January 4, 2017
Sunday, January 1, 2017
I want to post my goals for the year so here they are:
Faithful to reading my Bible each day. This will include my devotional Bible reading plus my reading plan
Devote more time to prayer and time with God
Be kinder to people who post mean comments on a blog I follow. I noticed that I either get snippy or sarcastic. That is not how a daughter of God should behave.
Take more walks in my neighborhood. I may even be brave to take short walks in the snow if it's a light snow
Do more sewing and crochet projects
Lose some weight.