Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Coping With Grief During the Holidays

Photo by Jad Limcaco courtesy of Unsplash




Yesterday was the second annivesary of my father-in-law's passing. We knew he was going to leave since he was on hospice care. He suffered from dementia and COPD.
Our grief  started before Dad passed because when a loved one is on hospice there is that anticipating grief. The grief that comes knowing that Dad was dying but we just didn't know when he would pass. He passed away one week after he came home from the nursing home.

So Christmas that year (2015) was very hard for us.  We tried to make Christmas as normal but at the end of the day we were crying because we missed Dad(Papa to his granddaughters)

So how do you cope with loss and sadness during the holidays? I'll just share what helped and is still helping us.

First of all give yourself permission to grieve. Missing someone who has passed away is definitely normal.

Second. Pray. There is no greater Comforter than the Lord himself.
Third talk to a trusted friend who has gone through loss or maybe a friend who can offer a listening ear. Don't forget your pastor as another trusted person to talk to. I'm sure he will find time for you.

Fourth. Get out of the house. Don't isolate yourself from others. In my opinon that is the worst thing you can do because I think it could lead to severe depression. Again that's just my opinion. Volunteer at a soup kitchen or at church.

I'm sure there are other things but those are things that I remember from that year. If you are suffering from grief please follow the suggestions above and please don't be alone.


Moving My Blog

 After still trying to figure out the subscription thing with MailChimp and never having success, I've decided to go ahead and use my Wo...