Friday, December 1, 2017

Avoiding Being Ripped Off Part 2

Shopping online is convenient and and it definitely better than spending hours in a store but we need to be careful.
1. Always make make sure you sure you shop at familiar sites.
2. Always check for the padlock and make sure you see https in the I guess you call it an address window.
3. Use a strong password for setting up your account. I recommend using one that uses a combination of caps and lowerecase letters, numbers and symbols in ramdom order.

Shopping in stores
1. Never, ever leave your purse or handbag unattended while shopping. I can't tell you the number of women I've seen walking away from their carts to get something a few feet from their carts. Thieves are counting on us not paying attention to our carts. I usually snap my purse to the cart but its better to just keep your purse on your shoulder.

2. Most stores now have chip machines which I really don't like. They are supposed to be more secure.  The problem is when you insert your card part of your number is still showing. What I do is I hold my wallet over my card. Not to where it's touching just sort of hovering so you don't accidently cancel your transaction by bumping your card.
Immediately after the machine tells you to remove your card, put it away! Don't have a conversation with the checker while still holding your card. I'm actually guilty of this.

3. Don't leave your purchases in plain sight in your car. At my old church in CA a car was broken into and gifts were stolen.


 Again I know I'm forgetting something but I hope I my ideas will help us all not become  victims. Some of my ideas are probably no brainers but it's so easy to get distracted and forget.
Enjoy your shopping and stay safe!

Moving My Blog

 After still trying to figure out the subscription thing with MailChimp and never having success, I've decided to go ahead and use my Wo...