Saturday, September 3, 2011

Random Thoughts

 I was listening to a CD message today called Ornament of a Spirit-Why Covering Styles Change. By covering I'm referring to women's headcoverings.(See 1 Cor. 11:1-15) The speaker Cory Anderson has a book by the same title and in it he is addressing mainly the Conservative Anabaptists and speaking about how they have changed  the coverings over time in some of their churches. Currently as far as churches that practice the covering there are only a few such as the Coservative Anabaptists(Mennonite, Hutterite,Amish etc) Apostolic Christian, German Baptists and a few others.

Anyway, getting back to Cory's book in it he addresses how many of the Conservative Anabaptist churches have changes in their covering styles. I guess many of these churches use the kapp style coverings but some churches are either allowing smaller coverings or the cloth veil.

Now I haven't read this book yet so I'm really not sure what the big deal is about. I guess the kapp has always been identified with the Conservative Anabaptists and perhaps the veil is confusing to people?
I don't know. I plan to order the book and after I read it for myself, I will post my thoughts about it.

We visit friends once in awhile who are Mennonite and the ladies wear a hanging veil like the one I wear. By the way, I'm not Conservative Anabaptist but the Lord convicted me on the headcovering issue sevral years ago and I feel it is a scripture I need to obey. It is not a Conservative Anabaptist teaching either.

We went to a Mennonite baptism and there were families from out of CA visiting  for the ceremony and the  those ladies wore kapps. They didn't seem bothered by the veils and the veiled ladies didn't seem bothered by the kapps.

Personally, I don't think it matters whether a woman wear a kapp or a hanging veil. If she wants to cover her head according to scripture, then it really doesn't matter. Of course if she is part of a church that has a preferred covering, then she should go with that church's standard.

Switching gears, I can't believe fall is almost here! Our pumpkins are all mostly in and more or coming. We are growing miniature pumpkins but we have so many that  we will need to give some away.
I need to put up some cranberry sauce for all the holidays that are just around the corner. There is just something about homemade cranberry sauce that you just don't get in a can. (Sorry Ocean Spray!)

Well that's my rambling for today!


1 comment:

  1. I read this book. As a covering woman who grew up in non-covering evangelical churches and only began covering about 2 years ago, I was a bit disturbed about his book.

    I understand that small coverings seem to be a token and not really covering anything. But, I did find his observations a bit holier-than-thou. I live an area with many different covering women in many covering churches with many differnt covering styles. I can't say that anyone has ever in my hearing told anyone else that their covering was not as good as theirs. Honestly, I have seen small coverings and felt that it really did not cover anything but I am not the judge of the covering I chose, is one that works for me--it is a medium sized fabric veil and I have 4 colors, although mostly I wear 2. My tween dd has an identical style and has about 6 colors because she likes to "match" her dresses.

    We home church so covering style, size and color are between us, my husband and God. The Bible does not give us specific guidelines for the covering so we must seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

    J in VA

    While I appreciate that one should not throw their covering around. There is a certain praticality that comes with having something on your head as you go about your daily life. So often, many women who wear kapps, wear scarves to do chores or when traveling. If it is OK then, why not the other hours of the day?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome but all rude, disrespectful, or comments that go against the Word of God will be rejected. Spam is not welcome so please do not even try! Thank you for your comments.