Saturday, May 23, 2020

Wrist Pin Cushion Directions

I'm finally posting directions on how to make a wrist pin cushion.
To make one you need:
Scrap fabric scraps of your choice 
Lid ( I'm using a canning jar ring and lid because that's all I have)
Needle and thread
Elastic or hair elastic
Trim (optional)
Not pictured glue gun and polyfill. Some sewists like fabric scraps but you have to make sure the pins will go through your finished pin cushion. 

Start by tracing a circle larger your lid. I would recommend using a saucer as I discovered while making this tutorial my original circle was too small.
Cut out your circle and sew gathering stitch around edge.



Put your polyfill in the center. 
Gently pull and as you pull your circle will start to gather.  Add as much polyfill as you need and make sure there's enough that it's  nice and round.
Gently pull and sew shut.  
Carefully hot glue your pun cushion to the inside of your  lid. I say carefully because the hot glue  is very hot and you can get burned. Ask me how I know!
Now carefully hot glue your trim around edge of lid. This can be optional if you are using a really cute lid or you just want to skip this step altogether.
Now regarding using a hair band my daughter says the elastic is better because the hair band might be too tight so use which ever you prefer.
Measure your wrist with a measuring tape and cut your elastic. Keep in mind though it will stretch so don't cut too small or too large. Make sure it fits comfortably around your wrist.
Sew or hot glue ends together and glue to bottom of your pin cushion and you're done!



I'm posting two pin cushions fails as these were the first ones I made about a month ago. The brown one is a fail because it was made a little sloppy but works really well for holding pins. The purple one is a complete fail because I used fabric scraps and the puns refused to go through. I used fabric scraps in the brown one too but for whatever reason it worked better.

Moving My Blog

 After still trying to figure out the subscription thing with MailChimp and never having success, I've decided to go ahead and use my Wo...