Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Shirt Apron Tutorial (Finally!)

As promised I'm going to show you how to make a apron out of a man's shirt. You can either ask your husband if you can have one of his shirts that he doesn't want anymore or you can get one from a yard sale or thrift store.

Supplies you will need are shirt, chalk or fabric marker,needle and thread, scissors and a sewing machine.
Step 1. Remove cat from shirt and cutting mat
Step 2. Draw an angled line from shoulder seam to the underarm seam. I used a blue fabric marker that I hope you can see. Do this for both shoulder seams.

Step 3.Remove cat again and starting at bottom of shirt and cut at seam all the way up to where you drew the line and keep cutting on the drawn line.


Step 4. Flip up the collar and cut along seam to remove the back of the shirt. Here what it should look like.


Step 5. At the shoulder fold over raw  1/4 in and press. Then fold over 1/4 in again and press.  I used pins to help keep the folds down

Step  6. Sew along pressed edge and then press again.
Step 7. Sew the shirt up the button line but not too far up. Leave about two buttons open so you can get shirt over your head.

Step 8. For the ties I wanted something different so I found two scraps of fabric that were 19 x 4 inches long.


Steps 9. Fold over 1/4  and press all edges of strips. Do this twice.
Step 10. Sew along all four edges and press.
 Step 11. Attach ties to the "v"  sides of your apron and sew across.


Step 12.
Remove cat


Step 13. Your finished apron!


Notes: I forgot to take the pocket off so I'm going to cover it up with something. Also I'm going to attach a pocket on the lower right side of apron.
Many thanks to Stephanie at The Enchanting Rose  for her original tutorial on making a shirt apron.
 Thank you to my  daughter Shannon for helping with the photos and lending me her sewing machine.
And a special thanks to Kirstie the cat for her "help" in making this tutorial.

Moving My Blog

 After still trying to figure out the subscription thing with MailChimp and never having success, I've decided to go ahead and use my Wo...