Saturday, September 23, 2017

Healthy Eating Part 2 and Lessons Learned

Some of the lessons we learned while we were on this fast were:
1. Healthy eating can be expensive. We ate a lot of organic fruits and veggies, whole grain foods like brown rice, black bean pasta and the like. There really isn't a reason for healthy food to be expensive.

2. Plan menus. Because I didn't do my complete research on the Daniel Fast we were stuck eating a lot of the same meals with no variety. I didn't make the meals enjoyable.

3. Read labels. I didn't do that well with reading labels during the fast but we still managed to eat very healthy and still avoid most added sugar in foods like dried fruits and salad dressings.

4. Pray. It's important to take time for prayer which I managed to do.

That all being said I don't want to tell you ladies what you should or shouldn't eat. Truth be told I don't like being what to eat. Perhaps in a way I'm a bit of a rebel. After Tim's heart attack we did lean towards healthy eating but somehow slowly started going back to our old eating habits.

So instead of telling you all what to eat, I will share some of our family's favorite foods:

Plain greek yogurt mixed with fruit, homemade granola, and or honey
Homemade granola
Almond milk yogurt mixed with homemade granola( can you tell we like homemade granola?)
Brown rice with sauted veggies
Stir fry veggies
Fruit salads
Turkey meatballs
Healthy homemade peanut butter cups
Chicken and Dumplings
Curried tofu and veggies
Fruit smoothies made with unsweetened almond or coconut milk
Chicken tacos seasoned with homemade taco seasoning
This is just a few of our favorite foods. We will be trying to reduce the junk foods we eat which means, if I don't buy it, we won't eat it.

We will have another family meeting to discuss our feelings about the fast and if we would like to do it again in the future. I personally would like to do it again in the future. I just bought The Daniel Fast book which has some interesting recipes to try. If I had bought the book sooner I would have avoided the problems of meal planning for the fast.
Some of the dishes I plan to make for meatless meals which I hope to do at least twice a week.
Well I have rambled enough. If you managed to read this far, thank you. Maybe you might want to try some of the foods listed. Perhaps you have some favorites you like to share.



Moving My Blog

 After still trying to figure out the subscription thing with MailChimp and never having success, I've decided to go ahead and use my Wo...