Sunday, September 17, 2017

Our Family's Healthy Eating Plan(Part 1)




Recently our family decided (with a little prodding from Tim and I) to begin an adventure of a 21 day Daniel Fast.  If you are not familiar with the Daniel Fast it is taken from the book of Daniel chapter  and 10.  Daniel had requested only to eat fruits and veggies, with only water to drink. No sweets, meat,dairy, not even a cuppa tea!

So we explained to our living at home girls that basically we would be eating vegan for 21 days. Well the girls were on board with but we failed to explain about Daniel diet and what he might have eaten. Many recipes they researched would be considered a no-no for the Daniel fast.   So we decided to just not make a big deal about it but to concentrate on making better food choices. We are still following the basic idea but we are avoiding junk food because we haven't bought any since we started the fast.

My youngest daughter did make some  peanut butter cups using carob chips, coconut oil and natural unsalted peanut butter. They help satisfy our desire for something sweet. These are much better for us than Reeses peanut butter cups.

The hardest for Tim and I is fasting from coffee. We both love our morning coffee. As an alternative to coffee we found some chicory at Natural Grocers.  It's caffeine  free  and it's actually really good but not as good as coffee. I put almond milk in it instead of 1/2 n 1/2 since we are fasting from dairy.   I miss my Lady Grey black tea so I have been drinking herb teas. Good thing I enjoy drinking herbal teas otherwise I might be rather cranky.

As I mentioned earlier, the idea we had for the Daniel Fast was more for learning to make better choices for eating but I really want it to draw us closer to the Lord. That was the original way it came about.
Anyway by the end of this fast I hope we have a better understanding on how to treat this temple (our bodies) the way God wants us to.

Moving My Blog

 After still trying to figure out the subscription thing with MailChimp and never having success, I've decided to go ahead and use my Wo...